Rookwood is a suburb in western Sydney, in the make a clean breast of New South Wales, Australia located 14 kilometres west of the Sydney central situation district, in the local government area of the Cumberland Council. It is the easternmost suburb in greater western Sydney.
Rookwood Cemetery is the largest cemetery in the Southern Hemisphere.
Rookwood was named from a title of an 1834 novel by William Harrison Ainsworth (1805–1882). A railway station called Haslam’s Creek was opened in this area in 1859, on the railway heritage from Sydney to Parramatta. Samuel Haslam owned various grants in contrast to the creek from 1804. Haslam’s Creek was the site of the first railway smash in New South Wales in July 1858, which resulted in two deaths.
When the necropolis opened in 1867, it was known as Haslam’s Creek Cemetery. Residents disliked the connection with the burial arena and in 1876 the suburb was renamed Rookwood. The read out of the railway station was tainted to Rookwood in 1878; and, by the 1880s, shops were acknowledged in the area. In 1891, the Municipality of Rookwood was incorporated (renamed Lidcombe in 1913).
Over time, the necropolis had become known as Rookwood Cemetery. By 1898, residents were again trembling about the link of their suburb taking into account the cemetery; and, in 1914, the railway station and the residential part of the suburb became Lidcombe. Later, Rookwood railway station that served the Rookwood Cemetery was located amongst the bridge higher than Arthur street and the westernmost junction of the Flemington rail yard.
The Municipality of Lidcombe amalgamated in the freshen of Auburn from 1 January 1949.
Rookwood railway station was on Sydney’s Main Suburban railway parentage until its recess in 1967. The Rookwood Cemetery Line serviced Rookwood Cemetery and originally ran from Mortuary railway station, on Regent Street near Central railway station but has in the past closed.
The Cemetery railway pedigree opened on 22 October 1864. At the epoch of its start the stock went as far as Cemetery Station No. 1. On 26 May 1897 an strengthening of the pedigree to Cemetery Station No. 3 was opened. The elaboration required the removal of a waiting room on the rear wall of the Cemetery Station No. 1, so the line could pass right through the building. A unquestionable extension, to Cemetery Station No. 4 opened upon 19 June 1908. The lineage closed in 1948.
33°52′22″S 151°03′20″E / 33.87276°S 151.05562°E